License issue

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Hi Ziad.

I suppose I woudn't be posting this message if I didn't find your project interesting. As it is I'd like to use it on my projects but there's a catch with the GPL license.

I'm coordinating a projects hosted in codeplex that also uses GPL 2 because, just because it's an inheritance from the original developers. In the said project case, the license doesn't really matter because it's a code generator. No matter the license of the generator, the code you generate is your code.

On your case things are completely different. I don't eat or pay the house mortgage with my code generator project revenues. But I need to sell some programs to some clients. They come to me and say: "look my good man, there is this stuff we need you to do. How much will we have to pay for you to do it?" I tell them my price, etc, you know the procedure. When I say "I" I mean the company I work for. A GPL code base doesn't allow me to do it. So I can't use it.

GPL was all about an idyllic idea (John Lennon's Imagine lyrics springs to my mind) but you can't make a profession of using it. GPL is good only to do other GPL. But that's a serious limitation if you aim to see the widest use for your product. Why don't you change to a license more like LGPL that allows me (and other people like me) to use your source in my own closed source projects? I don't mind people using my code generator to make money. Do you mind people using your library to make their living?

Thanks for your attention

Tiago Freitas Leal

Coordinator
Mar 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Edited Mar 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ok, you've convinced me...I will switch to the LGPL license soon as advised if this is going to benefit the project and make everyone else happy.

Regards

Ziad