Pin on Left Click?

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I am very grateful for this control and to have contributed to some of its efforts. 

I wanted to ask about the aptly named pinning capability.  I was wondering if there may be room in a future release, where when you click a LeftClickTarget element, it effectively 'pins' the control (setting IsPinned=true) and clicking it again would effectively 'unpin' the control (setting IsPinned=false).

This way, users could hover over an element to have the 'flyout' type capaiblity that appears from mouseenter and mouseleave, but have pinned menus via left-clicking.

Just an idea.

Again, thanks again for your effort on this.  The Silverlight Framework really needs a control like this and this is a great solution.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Nice idea again Locksley and thanks a lot for showing your appreciation.

I've added the AutoPin property to the PopupMenu class which will hopefully provide you with the behavior you are looking for. You will find it in the latest version in the Source Code section.

Unfortunately i'm quite busy these days and haven't found much time to test it thouroughly. So your feedback is very important to me right now.

Best regards

Ziad

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Hi again Locksley,

Now that your idea has matured a little bit more in my mind I've decided to remove the AutoPin property for the sake of simplicity.

All you have to do now is just set the IsPinned property to true. This would normally disable the menu's 'flyout' ability but in the latest change set, if the trigger is a HoverElement, the menu is temporarily 'unpinned', until it is closed. This effectively restores the 'flyout' capability while keeping all the benefits of the pinned behavior.

You can download it from change set 51983. Try it for yourself and please let me know what you think about it.

Ziad